Tuesday, June 5, 2012

She did it!

Greetings to all Jill's fans:

Yesterday, June 4th, Jill underwent the second stage of her surgery.  The procedure lasted about 7.5 hours and appears to have been very successful. An ultrasound yesterday indicated good bloodflow through the new muscle, and this was confirmed again today.

Dr. Hadlock was able to use a muscle from Jills' leg that had two blood vessels.  This made the surgery a bit more complicated, but the added blood-flow will hopefully make the connection between the muscle and the nerve even stronger. 

As you can see from the picture, Jill is swollen but also symmetrical.  She says her face feels odd, but does not hurt.  Her leg, however, is very sore.  That being said, she told me that this recovery would be easier than her initial brain surgery--I will hold her to that.

I was truly amazed hearing her voice after surgery yesterday.  She sounded like the same old Jill; more concerned with me doing my chores around here than with the pain she was experiencing. 

She will stay in the hospital until Friday. The biggest concern after this process is preventing blood clots from interrupting the newly formed connections.  These few days after surgery are the most critical times where the doctors would be able to quickly address any clotting.  As of yet, that has not been an issue.

I cannot wait to have her back home, but I know she is in great hands out in Boston.  I cannot thank Marlene and Holly enough for taking such good care of her--before, during, and after.  Thank you, also, to everyone thinking of and praying for Jill.  She and I both appreciate it greatly.

-Adam

4 comments:

  1. Hooray!! What fantastic news, and Jill looks incredible, soo beautiful! Yes, I realize its moments after the surgery and I said it..... "YOU LOOK BEAUTIFUL my friend~~"
    In my prayers always,
    Rainee

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU ARE AN INCREDIBLE INSPIRATION! With the looks of it, I know all the muscles and nerves will begin to work beautifully together. Be kind to yourself and take your time to heal, my dear AN friend. And thanks Adam for posting and Holly for the updates!
    Love ya, Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill - I can't believe you are already SMILING!!! This is amazing - as are you :)) - truley! LOVE!!!!!!!!! - carrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are glad all went all and that the results are already showing! Your smile will be back soon!
    Love, the McAbee's

    ReplyDelete