Saturday, October 29, 2011

Cross Facial Nerve Graft Surgeries

As the time creeps upon us, I am getting excited and a little nervous about my upcoming mini vacation and surgery with Carol, my Mother-in-law, and her sister Aunt Lisa.  The surgery is in Boston with Dr. Tessa Hadlock, at the Facial Nerve Center next Monday 11/7.  There is also an orientation this Friday where I will sit down with the whole Facial Nerve Center team.  They will get a chance to analyze and discuss my face; what is working, what is not, and overall game plan.  I feel honored to be in the arms of such professionals who care not only about my brain, but my face.

From there we are headed to Aunt Lisa's house in Cape Elizabeth, Maine for the weekend.  I cannot say I have ever been that far north on the Atlantic, but I look forward to visiting with Aunt Lisa, her Family, and Carol.  I hear Aunt Lisa's house is beautiful and is very close to the ocean.  I strongly look forward to the sight, sound, smell of the sea.  It is so nostalgic and I can easily get lost reminiscing and staring towards the horizon or even into the tide pools with all the odd little creatures.  So, to say the least, I am looking forward to experiencing Cape Elizabeth.
 
Grafting and Harvest of Nerve

This Cross face nerve transfer is a 2 step process, meaning two surgeries with the second being twice as long and much more invasive.  However, I have 10 months to not think about that. 

The first step consists of taking a sensory nerve from the back of my calf and placing it in my face.  It is inserted and spliced into the base of the facial nerve that is in good condition, which is my left side. It is pulled across my face above my lips to the other cheek.  This is a 4hr process.  After 10 months of letting the nerve heal and grow at 1mm per day, I will be able to feel that the nerve is alive and well by little triggers and feeling.

Platinum Gold Weight

While I am under, my current gold eye weight will be removed and replaced with a lighter one.  The purpose of the weight is to help with eye closure which I have lost control over.  With a new weight in a new location, I am hoping to achieve more symmetry and less aggravation to my eye.  For example, the current placement of my weight pushes my eyelash hair down obstructing my view and also touches my cornea at times, not to mention that I cannot wear mascara.  Every girl should be able to wear mascara if she wants. 


Free Muscle Transfer-Gracilis Muscle

Step two happens around June-August of 2012.  My Mom and hopefully Adam, depending on school, will be joining me.  This process is called a Free Muscle Transfer and consists of taking a chunk of the gracilis muscle that is located in the thigh, and inserting it into the cheek.  The vessels and the grafted sensory nerve will be sewn together.  This is an 8 hour surgery and will have a longer healing period. 


Nasolabial Fold Effacement
Mid Line Face Lift

Along with the Muscle Transfer, I am having a process done called a Nasolabial Fold Effacement that will help with my deflated nostril and flat cheek.  Facial symmetry is the overall goal.  It is basically a Midline Face Lift.  I always wondered if I would ever get plastic surgery. Now I know....Yes :)

In regards to incisions and scars, Im sure you are wondering?  Well, I will have scars on both lower ear/jaw areas, inner mouth, outer forhead, thigh, and calf.  All which will not be to noticeable with time.  Thank goodness I have this big mess of hair.

Hopefully I have painted a clear picture of the cluster of procedures that are in my near future to help with facial paralysis.  It has taken a good period of time and quite a bit of research and patience to find the right Doctor and the right procedures.  I feel great knowing that Dr. Tessa Hadlock will be my surgeon, a lady who has the utmost experience with facial nerves on a consistent basis.  If you would like to view her website, it is http://www.facialnervecenter.org/  

P.S- For immediate post operation updates, Adam has agreed to post a blog.  All who were with me post Brain Surgery know it's better to keep my communication limited and minimal..  I am a little forward, I hear.  Good luck Carol and Lisa!  Just kidding!  You cannot be mean to the nicest ladies around, The Who's.

6 comments:

  1. Jill - This entire process is as incredible as you are! It is so amazing that you have had the tenacity to find the best doctor for this surgery. You'll have a few days before your surgery to walk down to what we call "Contemplation Point" and sit on the jutting rocks and breathe in the ocean air. At times it is bone chilling, but always heart-warming and tranquil. Carol and I will take wonderful care of you - you can be as forward as you want - we can handle it!
    Much love, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill,
    I found your blog through the ANA forum. I had a platsectomy about two weeks ago in Boston. Dr. Haddock did my procedure. She is an awesome surgeon. I will definitely have her do my remaining procedures. You can contact me at mattandsusant@gmail.com.
    Sending prayers your way,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must be full of nerves and anticipation! I hope your trip to the sea fills you with calmess and a lil' R and R. Super Good Luck wishes from SD. I hope Adam reads you your blog comments while you recover, I'll be following it all every step. love, Love, LOVE, Carrie (aka brown squirrel) PS - what address can we send you mail to while you recover? and how long is the recover??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Jill your blog helped me so so so.much Because im going through the exact same surgeries except I didn't get thisbfrom a brain surgery, you are so strong. I would love to ask a few more questions if you wouldn't mind. I had my 1st surgery in June and im.supposed to schedule my 2nd one this month. Please email.me at lstevens83@yahoo.com. I am wondering how your Dr knows that your nerve is ready for the 2nd part of the surgery, is it only because you tell her that You can feel it "shocking" you or how can you tell? Was there a test she performed to see where the nerve is?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a patient of Dr. Hadlocks and have had Bell's Palsy since I was 14 and I am now 24 and looking into this surgery. Could you please email you would love to talk to you about your experience. I also live in Maine. I live in Lyman Maine.

    Email: kellie.melancon@maine.edu

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello I am currently scheduled for roughly the same surgery with Dr Hadlock in July. I would like to discuss the post-surgical activities and downtime if we could. Thanks
    Mike

    ReplyDelete